10th Conference on Videogame Sciences and Arts
Porto, 21 November
Videojogos 2018, the Conference on Videogame Sciences and Arts will be held on November 21, organised by the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto, and the Society of Video Games Sciences (SPCV).
The annual conferences of the SPCV promote scientific culture, research, and the videogame industry in Portugal. These conferences are attended by researchers and professionals in the expanded field of videogames, to disseminate work and exchange experiences between the academic community and industry.
Arcade Room (Demo Session)
Quatro em dominó
Fish the Migrants
Noughts and Crosses: A Monopoly Game
Polyominoes & Amoebas
“Invasive Plants” – a Serious Game for Environmental Awareness
Food for thought
“Invasive Plants” – a Serious Game for Environmental Awareness
Digital Games in Portugal: Gender Asymmetries in Higher Education
Gamers4Nature: Game creation tools to promote Environment and Biodiversity preservation awareness
|10:30||Foyer / Cafeteria||
Videojogos 2018 Chair
Communications Session A
Extended Play at Faraday Museum
Game design for environmental awareness - the case of "Invasive Plants"
Building creative literacy skills through cooperative and competitive gameplay (a case study)
Military confrontations simulator for the training of army officers
Communications Session B
Development of a Serious Game to Auxiliate the Teaching of Chemistry
A Virtual Reality Game to teach Organic Chemistry
A Platform for the Geometry Friends Cooperative Game AI Competition
A review of Management Tools for OpenSimulator
Mapping the Gamification: a Bibliometric Analysis in Academic Literature
|15:30||Foyer / Cafeteria||
Communications Session C
Gaming as Performance
Mise-en-jeu: A Framework for Analysing the Visual Grammar of Platform Videogames
|19:00||MIL / Room 105||
SPCV General Assembly
Non Human Human Art Sci Constructs. André Sier works artistically with code and interactive media at s373.net/x studios, where he combines videogames, installations, painting, sculpture, music, mathematics and computation into objects and experiences of electronic arts, merging mythology, interfaces, generative interactive space-time continuums. In the past 21 years has produced objects and serial interactive work that playfully unravel time and space relations, synthesized on electronic substrates, shown at over 27 individual national and international exhibitions. André Sier is an electronic artist trained in sciences, arts, computing, with a degree in philosophy, lecturing in electronic arts, pursuing PhD in technoetic arts.
Image Gallery (on Flickr)
Delivery of final versions for publication: 17 December
Submission of proposals
- Art Games
- Critical Games
- Games and Creativity
- Gaming Culture
- Game Development
- Games and Learning
- Games as Methods
- Game Studies
- Games as Tools or Instruments
- Gaming and Performance
- Non-Digital Games
- Pervasive Games
- Serious Games
- Speculative Games
- VR / MR / AR
- Special track: Music and Games
- Audio development for videogames
- Audio production and design for videogames
- Construction of identities, sociabilities and practices through videogame music
- Soundscapes and ambiences in videogames
- Videogame music history and its developments/transformations
- Videogame music and its relations with other media
Up to 10 pages. Full Papers should aim for mature work with clear contributions, otherwise opt for a Short Paper. Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings and allotted 15 minutes presentation time at the conference. Authors of a selection of the best papers will be invited to submit an expanded version (20 pages) for a forthcoming special issue of the Portuguese Journal of Computational Sciences (Revista de Ciências da Computação).
Featuring 2 pages, posters should present novel ideas, research proposals or frameworks, or ongoing projects or research in early stages. The first page must include the title, keywords and an abstract up to 400 words with references. The second page must include the proposed poster to be presented (DIN A1 format, vertical orientation). The posters will be displayed during the conference and authors are encouraged to present and discuss them in the social interaction moments.
3 to 4 page description paper. Proposals should provide a clear description of the work, one or more URLs for access to relevant media assets, and a technical rider (layout, setup, required equipment). Demos will be a crucial part of the conference. They will be present on location between all sessions, and participants will be able to play them during breaks. The proceedings will publish an extended abstract to be provided by the authors after the conference.
We will accept papers, posters and demos written in English. Authors and their affiliation, or associate institutions must be omitted for all submission categories. Revisions will be double-blind. Please make sure that the files are completely anonymized (i.e. also omit author-related information in the text or as explicit self-citations, notes and bibliography).
All submissions must follow the conference templates:
The submission can only be done electronically, in PDF format, through the EasyChair platform.
Poster authors must submit the final versions of the poster in PDF format (one page) to the conference email
The accepted papers will be published digitally, in open access, with ISBN.
***Final registration deadline: 18 November***
Full registration: 250€ (early) / 300€ (late).
One author per paper. Authors, researchers, students or participants with institutional affiliation (e.g. company, university, research unit).
Reduced registration: 50€ (early) / 100€ (late).
Non-presenting co-authors, authors without institutional affiliation, general public.
Associate members of the SPCV: 100€ (early) / 125€ (late)
Authors, or presenting members of the SPCV association.
Higher education students of Porto: 5€
Special promotional price defined to the community of students from Porto enrolled in a higher education institution. Atendants must provide a valid student ID during registration.
All authors and attending participants must register and complete the payment according to the online instructions in the following form: https://goo.gl/forms/t7XUYgXYnKFnrlOw1
Registration includes only the entry to conference sessions. The conference dinner and social events are not included.
The conference presentations (papers, demos, posters & keynote speakers) will take place at the Almeida Garrett public library.
The Social Event and the General Assembly locations will be announced soon.
- Ana Amélia Carvalho, Universidade de Coimbra
- André Carita, Universidade Lusófona
- André Sier, s373.net/x / Plymouth University / Universidade de Évora
- António Coelho, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto
- Bruno Giesteira, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto
- Carlos Martinho, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
- Carlos Santos, Universidade de Aveiro
- Conceição Costa, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias
- Duarte Duque, 2Ai / Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e do Ave
- Eva Oliveira, Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e do Ave
- Filipe Costa Luz, Universidade Lusófona
- João Alves de Sousa, Universidade Lusófona Porto
- João Jacob, LIACC / Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto
- Jorge Martins Rosa, Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- José Carlos Neves, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias
- Licínio Roque, Universidade de Coimbra
- Manuel José Damásio, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias
- Mariana Vital, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias
- Mário Vairinhos, DiGiMedia Research Center / Universidade de Aveiro
- Miguel Carvalhais, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto
- Patrícia Gouveia, CIEBA, Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade de Lisboa
- Pedro A. Santos, INESC-ID / Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
- Pedro Amado, i2ADS / Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto
- Pedro Cardoso, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto
- Ricardo Melo, Politécnico do Porto, Instituto Superior de Contabilidade e Administração do Porto / CEOS.PP
- Rui Antunes, BioISI, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa
- Rui Nóbrega, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto
- Rui Prada, INESC-ID / Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
- Rui Rodrigues, INESC TEC / Faculdade de Engenharia, Universidade do Porto
- Miguel Carvalhais, INESC TEC / FBAUP
- Pedro Amado, i2ADS / FBAUP
- Pedro Cardoso, INESC TEC / FBAUP
- Teresa Matos, INESC TEC / FEUP